Mailing address below. Must be exactly like this.

David Beavans
University of the Virgin Islands
Student Activities Center Box#49
#2 John Brewers Bay
St. Thomas, VI 00802-6004

Monday, May 9, 2016

Things are winding down and I need to catch you up on the past several weeks in the next few posts.

Sunday April 17th
The weekend after visiting Virgin Gorda I found myself back in the British Virgin Islands thanks to Laura. Laura is a friend of a friend (who is now just a friend) and a local from St. John. Her family owns a boat, and they let her take it and some friends out for the day. She had plans to scoot on over to Jost Van Dyke, and I managed to get invited to go. The boat was nice; probably 30 feet with triple 300 Evinrudes on the back. We met her at the dock in the morning around 10:45 and loaded up the boat and did some paperwork and by 11:15 we were on Jost. That thing could fly.

If you have kept up with my blog you can remember this was my second time to Jost (Sarah and I went for a couple days over spring break). This time was much different than the last. Instead of being on the beach and looking out we were on a boat anchored just past the breakers looking in. Instead of lounging on the beach and drinking painkillers were jumping off the boat and throwing frisbees with Josh and Erik and some of Laura's friends. Instead of spending the night on Jost we were packing up by sunset to get home in time for dinner at the cafeteria. Both trips were very fun in their own way.

Another thing that those who have followed my blog might be questioning is who is Erik. Erik is Josh's roommate who is also an exchange student but he's from Denmark. During the first half of this semester he stayed in and kept to himself because he was working hard writing a thesis. Apparently that's some Danish thing that's required to get a bachelors degree. He finished that in mid February, but then spring break came, and then my family visited, and then he went somewhere for a week. I never really hung out with him until a few days before this trip on a hike up to the rock. Now, he and Josh are my two closet friends here. They are very similar to my friends back home, and that's kind of weird. One of my biggest regrets from this exchange is not hanging out with these two enough.



No comments:

Post a Comment