Mailing address below. Must be exactly like this.

David Beavans
University of the Virgin Islands
Student Activities Center Box#49
#2 John Brewers Bay
St. Thomas, VI 00802-6004

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

I'm getting a little behind with these. I think I'm going to start making them shorter and more frequent so it seems more like live updates.

This past week has been fairly normal. No trips to other islands or hikes to see cool views. I did check a couple firsts off my list, though. This past week was our first time we went underwater in my SCUBA class. It was a very weird feeling that I can't wait to experience again this week. We just stayed right around the dock in water that I could almost stand in. However, all the water here is super clear no matter where you are, so it was still very pretty. While we were under we practiced different situations we might encounter and how to best handle them. This is a class you have to pay attention in.

Another first happened to me and Josh while we were at the 2016 Buck Bash; a beach party hosted by the school (our mascot is the buccaneers.. still don't know what the school's colors are). The party was a lot of fun. They had food, a DJ, a band, tug-of-war, frisbees, footballs, this baseball slip-n-slide thing, and it was right on the beach so you could do all the normal water activities like usual. Josh and I spend about an hour in the water snorkeling. It was incredible the amount of sea life you could see. Last week at Coki all we saw was a couple kinds of reef fish, but here at Brewer's there were so much more. We saw sting rays, puffer fish, sea urchins, ballyhoos, this HUGE silver fish that I have yet to identify... and.. SEA TURTLES!!! I GOT TO SWIM WITH ABOUT 6 SEA TURTLES!! Apparently they love Brewer's Bay because it's so sheltered. I was so excited. Unfortunately,  there's a huge fine for touching them or else I would have gone up and given them all a hug. They were very quick though so I don't know how that would have logistically happened, but I would have tried my best. Also, I didn't take any pictures but trust me, I plan to go again very soon and I'll make sure to bring my GoPro. You will be seeing a selfie of me and a sea turtle in the very near future I can assure you.

One more thing since I don't have any pictures in this post. I try to see the sunset whenever I get a chance. Sometimes I watch is from campus, sometimes on the beach, but my favorite place is the dock below the marine lab. This past Friday someone was there fishing (as you can see, he does't have a rod, just a hand line). I forget his name, but I know his story. He was good company.

No comments:

Post a Comment