Mailing address below. Must be exactly like this.

David Beavans
University of the Virgin Islands
Student Activities Center Box#49
#2 John Brewers Bay
St. Thomas, VI 00802-6004

Friday, January 15, 2016

It's Friday and I just finished my last class. What a week! I've spent it getting stuff taken care of and going to class. A few classes got moved around and I had to drop one. It took a while to get everything straightened out, but I think I'm close to getting it all figured out.

Buying books was another issue. I have a mailing address here, which I will post in my heading soon, but I've heard it takes forever to get mail shipped here. Also, if you don't write the address perfectly it will get sent back, so I thought some issues might arise there. I ended up buying most of them at the bookstore, which I hate doing. The others I got as eTextbooks on my iPad.

A few other small issues I've had to take care of: I still haven't gotten a key yet, but I keep getting updates on how that's going everyday.  I went shopping a few times to get everything I needed for my room that I couldn't pack on the plane. Finally, I got all the paperwork done for my student gym membership here.

In total I have 7 classes, which sounds like a lot but it's only 12.5 hours. Last semester I took 18 so I would be able to take less this semester.

Monday
Public Speaking - 3 credits - This will transfer back as my speech class which is a core class I waited to take till I got here.

Swimming/Snorkeling - 1 credit - Just a fun class to hopefully experience this island a little better. It will transfer back as a PE class.

Class Steel Pan - 1 credit  - An introduction to the steel drum, which has always fascinated me since I was a kid.

Hospitality Accounting - 3 credits - Basically deals with the managerial accounting in hotels, restaurants, and bars. Unfortunately, it will not transfer back as an accounting class, but I'm still excited to learn about it. It should be really helpful.

Tuesday
Mass Communications Law and Ethics - 3 credits - I needed an ethics class, so I waited to take one till I got here.

Class Guitar - 1 credit - I borrowed my dad's guitar during freshman year of college and kind of dabbled with it since, but I've never had actual instruction. Hopefully by the time this class is over I'll have a good foundation to build from.

Wednesday
Public Speaking

Open Water Scientific Diving - 1 credit - lecture -This is probably my most fun class. Marine biology is huge here, so this is a freshman level course designed to teach you how to do research underwater. By the end of the class I'll be a certified SCUBA diver. I'm so excited. God is good.

Hospitality Accounting

Thursday
Open Water Scientific Diving - lab - This is the part of the class where we actually go in the water and learn how to dive. We'll take trip to different cays and go to depths of 65 feet.

Mass Communications Law and Ethics

Friday
Public Speaking





No comments:

Post a Comment